Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Mike W's #94: The Killer (John Woo) Sorry for the lateness guys!!

These next 2 picks were both my introductions to directors i came to love who's movies individually would not place in my top 100 but who's work as a whole i believe belongs amongst this list.

I didn't know who John Woo was and hadn't seen any of his movies until about 1994-1995. I had read an interview with Quentin Tarantino shortly after Pulp Fiction had come out and they were discussing his first film Reservoir Dogs. He had mentioned his love for John Woo and specifically the movie The Killer (it's final scene is very close to the final scene in Reservoir). I immediatley rushed out to find the movie and was happy to discover my local video store had it. I wound up renting this and Hard Boiled that day and LOVED them both. Woo has romance with gun fights and action scenes that i don't think anyone had been doing at the time of either of these releases but has since been LARGELY copied. If you haven't seen his late 80's stuff i highly suggest.

3 comments:

  1. Love it! Already three Woo features on this list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to check this one out. And no need for apologies, Mike. Post when you can. Life happens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://lwlies.com/articles/john-woo-films-action-cinema/

    ReplyDelete