Monday, March 6, 2017

Mike O'Donnell's #98: Far and Away





feeling very sentimental about my recent picks, and since its March I figure this one is appropriate. Shit all over me if you must but Far and Away is a classic epic. I grew up on this movie, always relishing every scene of it as Joseph (Cruise) and Shannon (Kidman) navigate there way from Ireland to America under strained circumstances, all while reluctantly and unknowingly falling in love.

We start in Ireland on a young and rambunctious Cruise who's fathers house is burned to the ground by Thomas Gibsons character Stephen Chase. Gibsons character (played with perfect period piece mustache wearing villianousness) works for Kidmans father, a wealthy landlord of sorts Daniel Christie, played PERFECTLY buy an old and drunk Robert Prosky. Cruise swears revenge and vows to Kill Christie but fails miserably. The plot continues to thicken when Joseph meets the landlords daughter Shannon, played by the smoking Hott Nicole Kidman. Shannon's not your typical wealthy daughter, she has spirit and spunk with dreams of seeing America and certainly not marrying Stephen Chase!!!!

I could babble about the plot forever, it's thick and rich with bare knuckle boxing, duels, Irish landscape and finally the land rush. At the end of the day this movie, as I mentioned prior, is an absolute epic that Howard packages up nice and neat and leaves you with that sigh of contentment and joy when finished.

6 comments:

  1. I have fond memories of this one. I'm looking forward to re-watching it.

    I don't think that Ron Howard has made a bad film. He's made films that don't interest me and films with hokey scripts, but none that are flat out bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to think you picked this one just to stick it to that Irish hatin' bastard Brandon. I approve.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's just one I honestly love man, and yeah, suck on it Brandon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this movie. I don't like most Ron Howard movies

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haven't seen it - adding it to my list of things to watch. I am a bad Irishman :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, Mike, today's re-watch was a big disappointment. It was a chore to watch the whole thing. An Irish epic should be a lot more fun than this wearisome slog.

    ReplyDelete