Sunday, March 19, 2017

Alex's #98: Armageddon


No, I'm not messing around. My next movie is everyone's favorite asteroid movie starring Bruce Willis, Billy Bob Thornton, Ben Affleck, and so many more people. Directed by everyone's least favorite director, Michael Bay. This movie came out in the summer of 1998 and everyone wanted to see this movie. Well, maybe not everyone but people like me who was 11 and had no taste in movies whatsoever.

When I first saw this movie I thought it was the coolest movie. Bruce Willis going into space and saving the day, I mean, that's the perfect movie right? At least this time he has shoes, or space boots?

So you have a movie about a bunch of oil drillers who get tasked with an impossible mission, drilling a hole so big and so deep to slide a nuclear bomb down and blow up the big hurling asteroid that's going to doom us all. Being an 11 year old, this movie sold it to me. I was so into it I never noticed all the stupid things that went with this awesome but really bad movie. See, I love destruction movies too, so you'll be seeing lots of those as well.

Everyone, including myself, wanted to see this movie for it's destruction. Oh boy, did we get some of that! It was a great thrill ride and it'll always remain one of my favorite movies, even when it's ridiculous as it is.

I've recently re-watched this movie and it still holds a place in my heart, but with me being older I just asked myself why all the stupid b.s.? When they go look at the Armadillo for the first time, why is it surrounded by all these spikes in this huge warehouse? Why does the Armadillo have a machine gun on it? Why is there a turret machine gun just sitting outside the spaceship?Why is Michael Bay such a loser? Why do I get sucked into his big budget, explosive, ridiculous movies? I can't think of a legitimate answer, but all I can say is I try to give every movie a shot...I guess?

Things that stick out from this movie that I'll always remember is Steven Buscemi's role in the movie. I personally think he made the movie more tolerable than it was. The movie seemed to always include a joke involving Star Wars. I'm sure there's more, I just can't think of it.

On a side note, did you know J.J. Abrams co-wrote the script to this movie? I guess that'll explain the Star Wars jokes, but I'm just wondering if you guys knew?

1 comment:

  1. I tried to re-watch this. I failed. I couldnt't take it.

    I'm not knocking your pick. Someone in charge somewhere felt that this belonged in the Criterion Collection. Serious cinephiles love this one. I don't get it. Then again, no one asked me.

    ReplyDelete