Saturday, March 11, 2017

Alex's #100: Halloween (1978)



First, I'd like to thank you guys for inviting me to this. I'm going to try to get caught up to you guys! Now I have no exact order of my favorite movies, but I figured this would be a great first one to do.

The first movie I chose was Halloween (1978) directed by John Carpenter, and starred a very dreamy Jamie Lee Curtis, whom I still love to this day. This movie, in my opinion, is the birth of horror/stalker movies. This movie is so DAMN scary, it gave me nightmares for years. Granted that was when I was a young kid. Nowadays, I'll just sit there and laugh because I know whats coming and usually when you get older things don't scare you easily...sometimes.

I absolutely love this movie, it is without a doubt the best horror movie ever. John Carpenter created a masterpiece no one can ever touch. I love how he wrote the music for this movie and that was some pretty freaky stuff. He is the master of horror and I don't think anyone can or will be nearly as good as him.

Things about the movie that I will always remember was definitely the music because it always seem to play at the right moment...that moment of surprise, scare, awe...something that'll leave an impact on you. There's a part towards the beginning when Laurie Strode got home from school and she went upstairs to change, she looked outside and BOOM Michael freaking Myers is standing right in the backyard looking right up at her...she looked away and he was gone! With the music in that scene, it scared the crap out of me. The way Michael Myers will just sit up after getting knocked down and turning the head every so slightly. The heavy breathing in the movie was very freaky, especially watching the movie when you're 10. But the one part that I liked was in the beginning when they showed Michael at a young age and him killing his sister. The way they shot that whole sequence. Putting the mask on the camera was such a great idea...giving you his POV and him becoming something truly evil.

The other thing I liked about this movie is it proves you don't need a lot of blood and gore to make a great scary movie. All it needs is a good story, some decent acting, and a killer that's so convincing that he could possibly exist in our world.

There's a line in the movie that's so good no one ever thinks about it is when Laurie tells Billy she killed him (Michael), then Billy responds with "But you can't kill the boogeyman." Then sure enough, Michael shows up again.

Donald Pleasence as Dr. Loomis was great as well! I feel like no one can even play that character as good as he did.

Oh and Rob Zombie's remake sucked.

On a side note, I'm not sure if you guys knew this or not but if you look at the hand in the poster you see a face. Start with the top knuckle and look down. You should see eyes, nose, mouth.



4 comments:

  1. Welcome, Alex. Good to have another voice here. I've been watching/re-watching everyone else's picks. I'm looking forward to seeing this one. I don't think that I've ever seen the whole thing from start to finish. Maybe I have. Honestly, I don't care about the movie. :-) Maybe I will a little more after giving it a fresh chance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome, Alex. I watched this for the first time last Halloween. Growing up I hated horror, but I have a newfound appreciation for it now. Even as a thirty year old man, this one freaked me out. It's so well done. Great pick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great choice!!!!! One of the best for sure

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sometimes think that I have a horror appreciation deficiency. I just watched this one this morning. Boring. I could tell that it was *supposed* to be suspenseful, but I didn't find it scary or interesting. Same tired horror formula. Meh.

    It was still a better watch than Far and Away. :-p

    ReplyDelete