Sunday, March 12, 2017

Alex's #99: Jaws


My next movie is Jaws, which is a cinematic masterpiece. This movie came out in 1975 and was directed by one of the greatest directors ever, Mr. Steven Spielberg. It starred Roy Scheider, Richard Dreyfuss, and Robert Shaw. This movie helped put the fear in everyone's minds, when they're swimming out in the ocean. Even if you want to go out on a fishing boat, you look out to see if this big black eyed monster is coming for you.

What made me enjoy this movie was it was a monster movie. I love monster movies and this is definitely one. You have Man vs. Shark (the monster), Good vs. Evil, blah blah blah. This movie gets you fascinated with the ideology of the shark and what it'll take to beat/kill it.

What I loved about the movie was how the mechanical shark looked so real to me when I was a kid. Everything just looked so real and you have to appreciate something like that. My favorite part in the whole movie though is the climax. When the shark manages to damage the boat and it starts to take on water, then slowly starts to sink. Then Quint gets eaten and THAT whole sequence probably terrified me of sharks completely when I was a kid. I'm pretty sure my jaw dropped when I saw that. Then you have it right at the end, Man vs. Monster, and it was such a glorious sequence of events. Everything culminating to that was so good and memorable and beautiful. Brody with the million shot "Smile for me you son of a bitch!" I love that line. I also enjoyed the part where they're singing on the boat because you think, like they do, that everything is good and they're safe...but they're wrong.

If you haven't seen this movie I really think you should check it out. Sorry if I ruined it for you but this movie is 40 years old, so I don't think you'll mind. You don't necessarily have to see the sequels but if you want a good laugh check them out. Jaws 2 was the better sequel.

On a side note, this movie's budget was $8,000,000 and it pulled in a whopping $260,000,000. Also, this movie was filmed in Martha's Vineyard, MA. Beautiful place to visit if you ever get the chance to.


2 comments: