Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Jeff's #86: Rio Grande

#86: Rio Grande (John Ford, 1950)

For some reason, I couldn't get the movie poster to paste on here.  Oh well.  I love John Ford.  Along with Hitchcock, he may appear on my list more times than any other filmmaker.  Some days, I truly feel like he is my favorite.

I wish I had watched this again, so that I could say more about it.  But, I do think it is underrated and one of Ford's best films.  Every shot is essentially perfect- the work of an absolute expert.  I love the central conflict between duty and family and the way it depicts the initial hesitancy of reunion as the characters slowly learn to embrace reconciliation.  It also features the first pairing between Wayne and O'Hara, one of cinema's finest couples.



No comments:

Post a Comment