Sunday, April 2, 2017

JRO's #89: Pandora and the Flying Dutchman (Albert Lewin, 1951)


Again, I did not re-watch.

This is another one of the few on the list that I've only seen once. It was while I was still ushering at Cornell Cinema. In the theater were myself and about half a dozen elderly ladies. I remember being swept up in the technicolor dream, wrecked by the romance. I hesitated to turn on the house lights after the film finished, for fear of revealing my puffy, red eyes (allergies, surely). I had no reason to be concerned. It turned out that all of the other old ladies there besides myself had the same allergic condition. We spent a few minutes being old ladies together, swapping tissues, lamenting together that they don't make movies anymore like they used to when we were little girls.

It's on the list for that experience, one of the best theater-going experiences of my life. I like to think that the film will hold up just as well on DVD at 40" as it does on 35mm on a full-sized screen. But I know that that's not quite true.

1 comment:

  1. I think we talked about this one before after I saw it. I was awe-struck by Jack Cardiff's cinematography, but remember the narrative being tedious. BUT, I would like to re-watch at some point.

    ReplyDelete